Hackensack Meridian Health
To move healthcare institutions toward delivering nutritious options to meet the needs of children and families they serve, committing hospitals will engage in nine domains of activities:
- Fruit and Vegetable Procurement-increasing purchasing of fruits and vegetables,
- Food Marketing-displaying only health-promoting foods in advertising and pictorials,
- Healthy Checkout-offering only healthier food options near cash register stations,
- Child Wellness Meals-offering to patients and guests a child wellness meal that meets specific nutrient, food and affordability profiles,
- Adult Wellness Meals-offering to patients, guests and staff adult wellness meals that meet specific nutrient, food and affordability profiles,
- Overall Cafeteria/Menu Offerings-increasing the percentage of healthy entrees and side dishes,
- Nutrition Labeling-labeling all foods with calories per serving,
- Healthy Beverage Procurement-increasing purchase of healthier beverages and
- Food Preparation-removing all fryers and deep fat fried products.
“Hackensack Meridian Health continues to elevate our health and wellness stance to ensure the healthy choice is the easiest choice for our patients, guests, and team members through our participation in Partnership for a Healthier America’s Hospital Healthy Food Initiative. ‘This effort aligns with our vision to redefine traditional 'health care’ by promoting better nutrition and fitness, which leads to healthier, more rewarding lives for our team members, friends, parents, and children,’ says Steven G. Littleson, COO, Hackensack Meridian Health.
Our progressive accomplishments in a number of our cafés include:
· Eliminating all junk foods from the cash registers and only offering healthier snack and beverage options;
· Offering transparency to customers by labeling calories on menu items through digital and static signage at each point of service;
· Promoting wellness meals to team members, patients, and guests at affordable prices.”