Implement a healthy dining program in 95 percent of food service accounts; provide at least 30 percent healthier options in 45 percent of vending accounts; implement a smarter lunchroom program in 90 percent of K-12 accounts; serve an additional 17 million free breakfast meals in schools in its primary and secondary school accounts; implement a healthier children’s meal – default fruit or vegetable side and default water or low-fat milk beverage – in 40 percent of food service accounts at cultural destinations; and implement the PHA Hospital Healthier Food Initiative in 20 percent of accounts.View Partner
“In 2014 we embarked upon a bold commitment to our customers across the U.S. where we serve millions across seven market segments. We are proud of our progress over the last five years:
- We brought the Mindful by Sodexo healthy dining program to 958 locations, bringing more people delicious food in satisfying portions, with transparency of ingredients and engaging communications to make Mindful choices second nature.
- 373 accounts reached the Gold level of implementation of Mindful by Sodexo Sodexo’s comprehensive standard for a healthier dining experience with 45 steps for integrating healthier options throughout the cafe. Another 268 sites implemented 40 or more of these steps.
- 385 hospitals used the power of imagery, displaying and marketing only the healthier food options in cafeterias and on patient menus. 343 hospitals implemented a healthy check-out program where only healthier options can be displayed within 5 feet of cash registers. Both these approaches are wellness strategies for hospitals endorsed by PHA.
- The majority of cultural destinations served by Sodexo switched to offering healthy sides and beverages as the default choice in kids’ meals.
- Convenience Solutions by Sodexo now operates over 2,175 vending machines with at least 30% OPT Healthy selections. Healthier choices are now priced 10-20% less than indulgent options. Opt Healthy is now central to Convenience Solutions by Sodexo’s health and wellness strategy across vending, micromarkets and pantries.
- 100% of the elementary, middle and high school accounts operated by Sodexo implemented a minimum of 9 proven behavioral economics techniques to promote healthier choices. 57% of all schools are using all 18 of these techniques.
- At least 17 million free breakfast meals were served to children at our primary and secondary school accounts.
- We were honored to be recognized with the first PHA Partner of the Year award.
As we conclude our five-year commitment, Sodexo remains committed to improving the health and well-being of the communities where we live, work and serve. This work is part of our global Better Tomorrow 2025 roadmap for improving quality of life. With 9,000 sites throughout the U.S we can support healthy lifestyles for children and the many role models that shape their behavior. We believe these changes will also improve performance for clients by improving the health and well-being of employees and their families, enhancing their reputation in the marketplace, and strengthening the communities where they operate.”