Recipe: Southwest Turkey ‘Tato Skins
There’s a reason why potato skins have been a go-to party snack for decades: They’re simple to make, and once you add toppings, become a satisfying mini-meal for your family or guests. Plus, the mild-tasting, versatile potato pairs well with dozens of flavor combinations.
This is why we’re in love with this Southwest Turkey ‘Tato Skins recipe from Walmart. They are crispy, cheesy, vegetable-y, and downright irresistible. Oh and did we mention healthy? Packed with roasted turkey breast and a southwest vegetable blend, these ‘tato skins are bursting with bold flavor. Be sure to make enough because they will quickly disappear!
- 4 medium baking potatoes about 8 ounces each*
- 1 cup Great Value Mild Finely Shredded Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese
- 2 cups chopped roasted turkey breast (about 10 ounces)
- 2 cups frozen southwest blend vegetables or any vegetable blend including corn, black beans, peppers and onions (about 9 ounces)
- Great Value Honey Barbecue sauce
*Note: Can also use 6-8 small potatoes and serve as appetizers.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Wash potatoes and poke holes in skin with a fork. Bake in center of oven until tender, about 1 hour. Cool potatoes; cut in half lengthwise and scoop out potato pulp, leaving about ¼ inch around all edges. Reserve potato pulp for another use, such as mashed potatoes, hash or soup. (Alternatively, can also microwave potatoes according to manufacturer’s instructions).
- Put half the cheese into each of the eight potato skins, set on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine turkey and frozen vegetables and place equal amounts in each potato half.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake in the center of the oven until warmed through and cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with honey barbecue sauce.