11 Questions With... PepsiCo's Seth Kaufman
Quaker, Tropicana, Naked, Near East and KeVita – these well-known brands, among others, are among Seth Kaufman’s portfolio in the North America Nutrition division at PepsiCo. As President, Seth recognizes the value of providing high-quality, healthier-for-you options while ensuring those options remain accessible and affordable. A true innovator, Seth brings new ideas to market, including ramping up PepsiCo’s eCommerce efforts to deliver healthier options right to doorsteps across the country.
When Seth isn’t bringing change to the marketplace, he lives out PHA’s values of moving more and eating healthier. Seth shares how he makes the healthy choice the easy choice each day:
On Healthier Eating…
1) What does healthy eating mean to you?
Finding consistent ways to get more positive nutrients – whole grains, fruits, veggies and protein – into everyday meals and snacks. Great taste and convenience are key to helping people incorporate positive nutrition into their lives consistently.
2) Tell us the best health advice you’ve ever received?
Be proactive about how you care for yourself, find ways to keep getting better. I was diagnosed with a primary immunodeficiency disease six years ago after a lifetime of chronic infections. The treatments I’ve received since fundamentally improved my life.
3) What is your go-to nutritious breakfast meal?
A big bowl of Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal with peanut butter, followed by the KeVita Master Brew Kombucha in Tart Cherry.
On Physical Activity…
4) Who is your fitness hero?
I’m an avid cyclist so I fanatically follow four-time Tour de France winner Chris Froome.
5) What is your healthiest fitness habit?
I bike six to seven times and week. Weekdays inside and weekends outside.
On Transforming the Marketplace…
6) Where’s the most surprising place you’ve found healthier options and what was it?
There’s an exciting resurgence of consumer interest in healthier foods, which makes it fascinating to see where healthy options pop up. I saw a Farmer’s Fridge at the airport. What a fantastic example of making it easy for people to find fresh, quality ingredients when they’re on the go.
7) Where have you not seen healthier options that you wish would begin offering new choices?
I’m in the unique position to fulfill the wish of bringing healthier options to more places. We’re stepping up efforts to bring nutrition innovation to market, while expanding distribution of brands like Quaker, Tropicana and Naked Juice. Knowing people are away from home more and more, there’s a huge opportunity to deliver more nutritious options in places like convenience marts, drugstores, restaurants, and hotels. And of course, we’re ramping up eCommerce efforts to deliver healthier choices to your doorstep.
On a Commitment With PHA…
8) Why are you inspired to help ensure all children can grow up healthy? I have three children of my own who remind me daily that it’s our responsibility to ensure all kids have the opportunity to be nurtured and have access high-quality nourishment. Accesible, affordable and enjoyable foods and beverages must put nutrition within reach for more people, especially the next generation. Better food should be the rule, not the exception.
9) What does “Making the healthy choice the easy choice” mean to you? We must put ourselves in consumers’ shoes and have empathy for the myriad of choices they’re forced to make every day. Consumers today demand speed and ease so we must make it convenient. And when it comes to what they’re consuming, enjoyment is important too. We must make nutritious, great-tasting foods that make their lives easier.
10) Describe your company’s partnership with PHA in three words. Collaborating on a healthier future.
11) What was that “Aha!” moment that made you realize your company is having a big impact on the health of our nation’s youth? I learned each year, Quaker provides 200 billion grams of whole grains and 25 billion grams of fiber to the American diet. Tropicana serves up 5 billion servings of fruit. And Naked dishes out 20 million servings of fruits and vegetables. We’re making huge positive contributions to the American diet, but we know that most people are still falling short on daily recommended intake so there’s a lot of work to do. That’s why we’re committed to investing to ensure that anyone, anywhere, can make food and beverage choices they both enjoy and can feel good about.
Learn more about PepsiCo’s commitment with PHA.