Retail, Food Service, Child Care and Health Care Leaders to Sponsor Building a Healthier Future Summit
Companies join experts from government, industry and academia to address the childhood obesity epidemic
Washington, D.C. (May 9, 2016) — The Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA), which works with the private sector and PHA Honorary Chair First Lady Michelle Obama to make healthier choices easier for busy parents and families, today announced new sponsors for the 2016 Building a Healthier Future Summit. The summit will take place May 18 through 20 at the Renaissance Washington D.C. downtown hotel.
The PHA Summit convenes leading companies, private sector, government, academia and philanthropic leaders to discuss real solutions to ending America’s childhood obesity crisis. Novo Nordisk, the 2016 national sponsor, is a global health care company with more than 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. This heritage has given the company experience and capabilities that also enable them to help people defeat other serious chronic conditions: hemophilia, growth disorders and obesity.
Other sponsors include:
- Aquafina a leading provider of water and water products. Aquafina has been a proud sponsor of Drink Up, a collaboration with PHA and more than 50 supporters including bottlers, filtered water companies, water bottle producers and fountain manufacturers. The effort encourages people across the country to drink more water more often.
- Bright Horizons Family Solutions, Inc., a leading provider of high-quality child care, early education and other services designed to help employers and families better address the challenges of work and life. Bright Horizons was PHA’s first child care partner and is providing onsite child care for children ages 2 through 12 for attendees at this year’s Summit.
- Brita® water filtration products transform water from any tap into cleaner, clearer water. Brita supports PHA’s Drink Up initiative and its efforts to encourage Americans to drink more water. Brita will provide hydration stations and reusable bottles at the Summit, enabling attendees to refill any bottle with great-tasting water.
- com is a unique lifestyle website that connects people to the power and joy of food, committed to leading by teaching, inspiring and empowering through talent and expertise.
- Good Housekeeping magazine is devoted to helping readers save time, money, and hassle — and live an inspired, happy life. It reaches nearly 24 million readers each month, plus another 10+ million online at com. The Good Housekeeping Institute, a state-of-the-art consumer product testing facility, is key to the unrivaled trust that readers and consumers have in the Good Housekeeping brand and the Good Housekeeping Seal.
- Johnson & Johnson, with its approximately 127,100 employees, works with its partners in health care to touch the lives of more than a billion people every day, throughout the world. Caring for the world one person at a time, Johnson & Johnson embraces research and science – bringing innovative ideas, products and services – to advance the health and well-being of people. This year Johnson & Johnson is a physical activity break sponsor at the Summit.
- KPMG LLP is a leading professional services firm with more than 30,000 partners and professionals providing audit, tax and advisory services throughout all 50 states. Globally its international member firms have 174,000 professionals in 155 countries.
- Ocean Spray is an agricultural cooperative owned by more than 700 cranberry and grapefruit growers in the United States, Canada and Chile. The cooperative’s cranberries are currently featured in more than 1,000 products in over 100 countries worldwide. Ocean Spray is joining PHA for the first time as a refreshment-break sponsor.
- Sodexo, a PHA partner and physical activity break sponsor, is the global leader in delivering integrated facilities management and foodservice operations that improve performance and enhance quality of life. The company serves more than 15 million consumers daily at 9,000 client sites in North America. Its PHA commitment includes its business, health care, education, cultural destinations, government and vending sectors.
- Sunsweet Growers Inc. is a worldwide leader in prunes, dried fruit and juices. Owned by its more than 250 grower members, Sunsweet Grower’s mission is to help people lead a healthy lifestyle with delicious and convenient products
- The Dannon Company, the leading producer of yogurt, is sponsoring the Yogurt Power Lunch in the Expo. Also a PHA partner, Dannon joined PHA in 2014 by committing to improve the nutrient density and reduce sugar and fat in its yogurt products. Dannon also is investing in education and research focused on healthy eating habits.
- Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, has been working to provide millions of American families with convenient access to a wide range of healthy, affordable food, as well as making a difference on big issues, such as preserving the environment, fighting hunger and empowering women.
The 2016 Summit will feature sessions focused on topics that include living with obesity, health equity and race, grocery innovation, food trends and forecasts, calorie reduction in sugar sweetened beverages, the future of the movement against childhood obesity, and other topics. Leaders from the public and private sector driving the conversations include The Dannon Company, Kaiser Permanente, Nemours Foundation, American Public Health Association, Coca-Cola North America, Johnson & Johnson Health and Wellness, among many others. As PHA’s Honorary Chair, First Lady Michelle Obama will keynote. For more information, visit www.ahealthieramerica.org/summit.
The Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA) is devoted to working with the private sector to ensure the health of our nation’s youth by solving the childhood obesity crisis. In 2010, PHA was created in conjunction with—but independent from—First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! effort. PHA is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization that is led by some of the nation’s most respected health and childhood obesity experts. PHA brings together public, private and nonprofit leaders to broker meaningful commitments and develop strategies to end childhood obesity. Most important, PHA ensures that commitments made are commitments kept by working with unbiased third parties to monitor and publicly report on the progress our partners are making. For more information about PHA, please visit www.ahealthieramerica.org and follow PHA on Twitter @PHAnews.